Bidding Underway At Heritage February Long Beach Rare Coin Auction
The Official Auction of the Long Beach Expo, scheduled for February 3-6, has Signature sessions totaling more than 4,500 lots from close to 200 consignors. Whether your tastes run to modern U.S. Mint issues, classic commemorative coinage, early type, or gold rarities, this auction should offer treasures for you.
The four Featured Collections in this auction include:
- The Mesquite Collection, a small but impressive seven-piece collection of high-quality gold. Four of the coins form a complete gold proof set of 1908, the first year of matte proof production for the new Bela Lyon Pratt and Augustus Saint-Gaudens designs.
- The Dr. William F. Duffy Collection, with a heavy emphasis on the half dime denomination, an interest that ranges from the earliest U.S. Mint designs to the last Seated dates. Other strengths include Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, and a selection of classic gold.
- The Rick Johnson Collection, consigned by the great-great-great-grandson of Clem Johnson, a North Carolinian and second cousin to President Andrew Johnson. Family lore says that a number of the coins consigned once belonged to the president himself. The coins stand on their own merits and include a 1795 half eagle with Small Eagle reverse.
- The Birmingham Collection, consisting of PCGS -certified Standing Liberty quarters and Walking Liberty half dollars that are untoned with strong eye appeal. Highlights include an MS65 1927-S quarter and an MS64 1919-D half dollar; a 1919-S quarter and half dollar that have been off the market for over 40 years; and Gem examples of the key 1921-D, 1923-S and 1927-S half dollars.
Individual highlights include, but are not limited to:
- 1776 Continental Dollar, CURRENCY, Pewter AU58 NGC.
- 1968 10C No S PR68 Cameo NGC.
- 1919-D 50C MS64 PCGS.
- 1901 $1 MS64 NGC.
- 1895 $1 PR64 Cameo PCGS.
- 1915-S $50 Panama-Pacific Octagonal MS63 PCGS.
- 1825 $2 1/2 MS61 NGC.
- 1795 $5 Small Eagle AU58 NGC.
- 1800 $10 MS61 NGC.
- 1801 $10 MS63 NGC.
- 1885 $20 MS61 PCGS.
- 1920-S $20 MS63 PCGS.
- 1908 $20 Motto PR66 NGC.
- 1860 $5 Mormon AU50 NGC.
As always, you have a range of options to bid in this Long Beach auction. Bid on the Internet at our award-winning website, HA.com/Coins, 24 hours a day every day until the night before a lot sells. For live bidding, try the cutting-edge Heritage Live! platform which lets you compete for lots in real time with others at the auction and from all over the world.