GreatCollections to auction Turino Collection of U.S. coins
Includes superb MS-67 $20 High Relief and both $50 Panama-Pacific Commemoratives
GreatCollections is proud to auction a group of U.S. coins called the Turino Collection. While the collection contains coins of all price ranges, the highlights include an NGC MS-67 classic High Relief and a complete classic gold Commemorative set.
In 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt recruited Augustus Saint-Gaudens to create what has become the most classic coin in U.S. history. GreatCollections is offering two examples of the High Relief in the auction, the finest being an NGC MS-67 example, which ranks among the finest 20 coins of its type. An NGC MS-62 coin verified by CAC is also being offered, with spirited bidding already taking the coin to over $15,000.
Less than 10 years after the Saint-Gaudens High Relief was issued, San Francisco held the Panama-Pacific Exposition and released a set of coins to commemorate the event. Two of the coins were $50 pieces, containing more than two ounces of gold and are highly sought-after today. Only 483 sets exist of the $50 pieces, which were issued round in design as well as octagonal. At the time of issuing this press release, a bid was already received on the round $50 piece, graded PCGS MS-63 CAC at $72,500.
“We are proud to offer coins of this caliber, and look forward to breaking new company records this week,” said Ian Russell, president of GreatCollections
Russell continues, “Although we recently sold another Panama-Pacific $50 for $90,000 by direct sale, the $72,500 bid for the coin ending this week eclipses previous company records.”
While every coin has been professionally imaged by GreatCollections, local clients can view the collection by appointment at GreatCollections’ Irvine, California office.
Bidding is open now through March 18, 2012. To register or view more information about this or other certified coins, please visit www.greatcollections.com or telephone 1.800.44.COINS.
Highlights from the Turino Collection of U.S. Coins and other Fine Properties
- 1909-S Lincoln Cent V.D.B. PCGS MS-66 RD
- 1796 Draped Bust Quarter PCGS XF-40
- 1867 Seated Liberty Half Dollar PCGS Proof-65 CAMEO CAC
- 1879-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-64 CAC
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50, Octagonal NGC MS-62
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50, Round PCGS MS-63 CAC
- 1854 Indian Princess Gold Dollar Type 2 PCGS MS-65 CAC
- 1804 Capped Bust Right Half Eagle Small 8 NGC MS-64
- 1813 Capped Head Half Eagle PCGS MS-63 CAC
- 1818 Capped Head Half Eagle 5D/50 NGC MS-64
- 1798/7 Capped Bust Eagle 9×4 Stars NGC AU-50 Reed Collection
- 1803 Capped Bust Eagle Small Stars Reverse NGC MS-62
- 1804 Capped Bust Eagle Crosslet 4 NGC MS-60
- 1914 Indian Eagle NGC Proof-66
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Flat Edge NGC MS-67
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Wire Edge NGC MS-62 CAC
GreatCollections is an auction and direct sale venue for PCGS, NGC and ANACS certified coins, as well as coins approved by CAC. GreatCollections handles each coin transaction from start to finish. For sellers, GreatCollections offers professional imaging for each coin, cash advances as appropriate, and other individualized services generally not available with the large auction houses and other websites, freeing the seller to do nothing except collect the proceeds of the sale. Buyers benefit by entrusting a venue whose principals have years of coin experience and whose reputations in the industry are impeccable.