IRVINE, Calif. –Please join Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio as they conduct their annual August Hong Kong auction from August 19-21 at the Mira Hong Kong in Kowloon. The sale will showcase three sessions of Asian coins and currency, and includes everything from ancient Chinese coins through Soviet-era issues to modern Chinese issues, foreign coins, and Asian paper money.
Session H will take place on Monday, August 19 at 9:30am HKT and contains more than 650 lots of modern Chinese and foreign coins. Noteworthy lots include a low mintage Chinese 500 Yuan displaying the Peacocks design graded PCGS Proof-68 Deep Cameo and a Korean Warn of Year 497 (1888)—the first modern machine struck dollar of Korea. Session I is slated for Tuesday, August 20 at 9:30am HKT and will cover ancient Chinese coins through to Soviet-era issues, including several lots of medals and tokens, orders and decorations, and Sycee and ingots. Among Chinese pattern issues is a Pattern Tael struck in silver in Year 29 (1903). A design that was never adopted for official use in circulation, this pattern coin is of the utmost rarity and, in a PCGS SP-63 Secure Holder, will be an excellent addition to any advanced cabinet.
Session J is scheduled for Wednesday, August 21 at 9:30am HKT and will showcase a phenomenal selection of Asian paper money. There are a number of significant pieces set to cross the auction block during this session, like the sensational Emperor Huang-ti Bank of China One Hundred Dollar Specimen note. This stunning note is the finer of only two pieces graded by PMG and, in Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ, is sure to see healthy competition. Additional highlights include the very rare Hong Kong National Bank of China Limited 1894 Five Dollars, an outstanding large format Malaya & British Borneo Ten Thousand Dollar Specimen, and the monumentally rare Thai King Rama VII 1933 1,000 Baht Specimen.
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries August 2013 Hong Kong auction include:
- Lot 50008, CHINA. 100 Yuan Pattern, 1982. Panda Series. NGC PROOF-62 CAMEO.
- Lot 50177, CHINA. 1,000 Yuan, 1989. Lunar Series, Year of the Snake. NGC PROOF-69 ULTRA CAMEO.
- Lot 50324, CHINA. Five Piece Proof Set, 1992. Inventions & Discoveries. PCGS PROOF-69 DEEP CAMEO Secure Holder.
- Lot 50329, CHINA. 500 Yuan, 1993. PCGS PROOF-68 DEEP CAMEO Secure Holder.
- Lot 50413, FRENCH INDO-CHINA. Complete Proof Set, 1889. Paris Mint. NGC PROOF-65.
- Lot 50525, KOREA. Warn, Year 497 (1888). PCGS EF-45 Secure Holder.
- Lot 50631, THAILAND. Tamlung (4 Baht), ND (1864). NGC MS-61.
- Lot 50632, THAILAND. 80 Baht or Chang (20 Tamlung), ND (1864). Extremely Fine.
- Lot 50642, THAILAND. Pattern Essai Set, RS127-8 (1908-09). MS-62 & MS-65 (2).
- Lot 51000, CHINA. Pattern K'uping Tael Struck in Gold, CD (1907). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-62.
- Lot 51005, CHINA. Sinkiang. Ration Gold 2 Mace, ND (1906). Tihwa Mint. NGC MS-63.
- Lot 51011, CHINA. Pattern Tael Struck in Silver, Year 29 (1903). PCGS SP-63 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51020, CHINA. Pattern Dollar, ND (1910). NGC MS-65.
- Lot 51082, CHINA. Pattern 10 Cents, ND (1912). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-63.
- Lot 51180, CHINA. 1914. Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-65.
- Lot 51195, CHINA. Anhwei. 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), Year 24 (1898). PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51199, CHINA. Anhwei. 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), Year 24 (1898). PCGS MS-64 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51263, CHINA. Hupeh. Tael, Year 30 (1904). PCGS MS-63 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51275, CHINA. Hupeh. Pattern 10 Cents, Year 3 (1911). Wuchang Mint. PCGS SP-64 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51279, CHINA. Kiangnan. 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), ND (1897). NGC MS-62.
- Lot 51370, CHINA. Manchurian Provinces. 3 Mace 6 Candareens (50 Cents), Year 33 (1907). PCGS MS-65 Secure Holder.
- Lot 51489, CHINA. Jiangxi Fangbao. Provincial Square Ingots. 50 Tael Local Tax Ingot, Year 26 Month 8 (September, 1900). Choice Very Fine.
- Lot 51500, CHINA. Xinjian Yuanbao. Chinese Turkestan Principle Ingots. 50 Tael Local Tax Ingot, ND. Very Fine.
- Lot 52032, Bank of China. $50, 1.6.1913. P32As. PMG Gem Uncirculated 65 EPQ.
- Lot 52033, Bank of China. $100, 1.6.1913. P32Bs. PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ.
- Lot 52258, Anhwei Yu Huan Bank. $5, 1907. PS820. PMG About Uncirculated 50.
- Lot 52526, National Bank of China Limited. $5, 2.5.1894. P247a. PMG Choice Fine 15 Net.
- Lot 52557, Military Currency. 10 Yen, Meiji Yr. 37 (1904). PM6a. Choice Very Fine 35 Net.
- Lot 52596, Board of Commissioners of Currency. $1,000, 1.1.1942. P16. PMG About Uncirculated 50 Net.
- Lot 52606, Board of Commissioners of Currency. $1,000, 21.3.1953. P6s. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 EPQ.
- Lot 52607, Board of Commissioners of Currency. $10,000, 21.3.1953. P7s. PMG About Uncirculated 55 Net.
- Lot 52608, Board of Commissioners of Currency. $10,000, 1953. P7pe. PMG Uncirculated 61 Net.
- Lot 52651, Government of Siam. 1,000 Baht, 1.10.1930. P21cts. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net.
- Lot 52652, Government of Siam. 1,000 Baht, 11.2.1933. PNL. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net.
- Lot 52653, Government of Siam. 1,000 Baht, ND (1939). P37s. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net.
- Lot 52660, Government of Thailand. 1,000 Baht, ND (1948). PNL. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net.
- Lot 52663, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. 1 Tical, 1.7.1890. PS121. PMG Very Fine 25 Net.
Two additional internet-only sessions containing world coins and paper money will close on Tuesday, August 28 at 9:00am HKT.
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is currently accepting consignments for the Official Auction of the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo, the January 2014 International sale that will take place in New York, and the April 2014 Hong Kong auction.
All lot descriptions and images in the August 2013 Hong Kong auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646. Online bidding and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone at 800.458.4646; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers Galleries, August HK 2013, 1063 McGaw, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Chicago in August and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 800.458.4646.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio,
renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”