Stack’s Bowers Galleries will conduct the official auction of the March 2011 Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo. The premiere event conducted under the Stack’s Bowers Galleries banner by the newly merged Stack’s and Bowers and Merena Auctions, the March 2011 Baltimore Auction continues the tradition and success of America’s most prestigious numismatic auctioneers.
The Stack’s Bowers Galleries March 2011 Baltimore Auction will feature , including nearly 4,250 lots of U.S. coins and exonumia and an additional 850+ lots of U.S. currency. Lot viewing will be conducted by appointment at the firm’s Irvine, California, headquarters March 8-15, at the firm’s New York office March 21-23, and onsite at the Baltimore Convention Center March 28-April 1. The auction will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center beginning Tuesday, March 29, concluding Friday, April 1, and will present four U.S. coin sessions, one U.S. currency session, and three foreign coin and paper money sessions.
According to Stack’s Bowers Galleries president Chris Napolitano: “Our official auction of the March 2011 Baltimore Expo will present a diverse and exciting array of U.S. coins, currency and exonumia. From historic Betts Medals, to premium-quality ‘collector coins’ in old PCGS and NGC holders, to world-renowned rarities such as early United States Mint proof coinage and matte proof gold, our March Baltimore Auction offers something for everyone.”
Anchoring the March 2011 Baltimore Auction are several fresh consignments featuring coins that have been off the market for many years, in some cases decades. The Dr. Albert R. Frederick, Jr. Collection was formed over a period of many years by a New England collector working closely with Q. David Bowers and Ray Merena, and it features a wide variety of classic United States coins. The Glenwick Family Collection is also fresh to market and features newly certified classic gold coins, silver and gold Commemoratives and other issues. Certified by PCGS and NGC in “old holders,” The Denny Kemp Collection represents a cherrypicker’s dream with many examples conservatively graded by current market standards. The quality and appeal of the Denny Kemp Collection is such that nearly 90 percent of the coins in this collection have been stickered by CAC.
Other important offerings in the March 2011 Baltimore Auction include a selection of New Orleans Mint Eagles from The David Solomon Collection, an impressive array of California Fractional gold coins from The Eleanor C. Paradee Collection – many examples also pedigreed to the famous Jay Roe Collection – and an incredible offering of Panama-Pacific Exposition Commemorative $50 gold coins in octagonal and round formats. Both Pan-Pac $50 gold pieces were acquired at the Panama-Pacific Exposition in 1915 and passed down through the same family until their presentation in this auction.
U.S. coin and exonumia highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official March 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
• “1781” (1782) Libertas Americana Medal, Betts-615, Silver, AU-55 (PCGS)
• 1831 Classic Half Cent, B-2, First Restrike, Proof-66 BN (PCGS), CAC
• 1793 Chain Cent, S-3, AMERICA, No Periods, EF-40 (PCGS), Secure Holder
• 1793 Wreath Cent, S-8, Vine and Bars Edge, MS-64 BN (PCGS)
• 1799 Draped Bust Cent, S-189, VF-30 (PCGS), CAC
• 1831 Capped Bust Half Dollar, O-102, MS-67 (PCGS)
• 1836/1336 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Lettered Edge, O-108, Proof-64 Cameo (PCGS)
• 1836 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Lettered Edge, O-116, 50/00, Proof-64 (PCGS), CAC
• 1799 Draped Bust Silver Dollar, B-5, MS-62 (PCGS), CAC
• 1839 Gobrecht Silver Dollar, Name Omitted, Judd-104 Restrike, Proof-65 (NGC)
• 1852 Seated Liberty Silver Dollar, Restrike, Proof-65 (NGC)
• 1894 Morgan Silver Dollar, MS-65 (PCGS), CAC, OGH, From the Denny Kemp Collection
• 1848 Liberty Quarter Eagle, CAL., EF-45 (PCGS)
• 1885 Three-Dollar Gold Piece, Proof-67 Cameo (NGC), CAC
• 1837 Classic Half Eagle, MS-66 (NGC)
• 1909-S Indian Half Eagle, MS-65 (PCGS), CAC, OGH
• 1803 Capped Bust Right Eagle, Small-Stars Reverse, MS-63 (PCGS), OGH, From the Dr. Albert R. Frederick, Jr. Collection
• 1883-O Liberty Eagle, AU-53 (NGC), From the David Solomon Collection
• 1908 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, Motto, Proof-66 (NGC)
• 1912 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, Proof-67 (NGC)
• 1927-S Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, MS-63 (PCGS)
• 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50 Octagonal, MS-64 (PCGS)
• 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50 Round, MS-63 (PCGS)
• 1880 Pattern Four-Dollar Stella, Coiled Hair, Judd-1661, Proof-64 RB (PCGS)
• 1854-FD Round $1, BG-602, Rarity-6+, AU-50 (PCGS), From the Eleanor C. Paradee Collection
U.S. currency highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official March 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
• Lockport, New York, Niagara County Bank, 1.7.1856, $2, Proof, Choice Uncirculated, NY-1255G4a
• Lockport, New York, Niagara County Bank, 1.7.1856, $3, Proof, Choice Uncirculated, NY-1255G6a
• Fr. 126b, 1863 $20 Legal Tender, Gem New 65 PPQ (PCGS)
• Fr. 757, 1918 $2 Federal Reserve Bank Note, Choice Uncirculated 64 (PMG), Serial Number D1A
• Fr. 372, 1890 $20 Treasury Note, Extremely Fine 40 (PMG), Serial Number A4
• Fr. 1850-I, 1929 $5 Federal Reserve Bank Note, Gem Uncirculated 65 EPQ (PMG)
• Fr. 1190, 1882 $50 Gold Certificate, Fine 15 (PCGS)
• Frankford, Delaware, $20 1902 PB, Fr. 652, The First NB, Charter #8918, Very Fine 25 (PMG)
• Fr. 2231-B, 1934 $10,000 Federal Reserve Note, Uncirculated 62 (PMG)
• Fr. 311, 1880 $20 Silver Certificate, Very Fine 30 (PCGS)
• Fr. 2407, 1928 $500 Gold Certificate, Very Fine 35 (PCGS)
• Fr. T-2, 1861, $500, About New 50 PPQ (PCGS)
All lot descriptions and images in the March 2011 Baltimore Auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646.
Online bidding will commence in early March and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone at 800.458.4646; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers Galleries, Baltimore March 2011, 18061 Fitch, Irvine, CA, 92614.
Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Baltimore in March and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 800.458.4646.