ANA & Royal Canadian Numismatic Association Team Up to Promote Shows
Members receive benefits from both organizations
The American Numismatic Association and the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association are teaming up to promote their conventions in August 2014. The ANA’s World’s Fair of Money will be held August 5-9 in Chicago (Rosemont). RCNA’s 60th Anniversary Convention will be the following week, August 13-16, in Toronto (Mississauga).
ANA and RCNA members will get free admission to the 123rd World’s Fair of Money in Chicago as well as the 60th Anniversary Convention with a valid ANA or RCNA membership card.
The RCNA honorary chair at the World’s Fair of Money is William K. Cross, author of “The Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins.” Bret Evans, RCNA president, will be present at the ribbon cutting ceremony in Chicago. Clifford Mishler will be the ANA honorary chair at the RCNA 60th Anniversary Convention. ANA President Walter Ostromecki Jr. and Mishler will assist in the ribbon cutting at the opening ceremonies.
“Hands Across the Border, in my mind at least, brings the two organizations closer together like they were in the past and further develops the collecting community in North America,” Mishler said. “The more individuals we have doing numismatic related things, the greater the growth of the hobby in the United States and Canada.”
Both conventions have complementary themes. The theme for the World’s Fair of Money is “Countries & Currency.” RCNA’s 60th Anniversary Convention in Toronto has the theme of “Countries & Currency: Innovations in World Numismatics.”
There will be several events at the World’s Fair of Money geared toward extending “Hands Across the Border.”
• Five Money Talks presentations on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 5, 2014, from noon to 5 p.m. will be dedicated to Canadian topics including presentations from Brett Irick on “Introduction to Canadian Numismatics” and Paul Johnson speaking on “Some early history of Canadian numismatics and its relationship with the American Numismatic Association.”
• Treasure Trivia participants will receive a Canadian coin. Families and school-age children can play the free ANA game. Those who find the answers to numismatic questions from participating dealers and clubs on the bourse floor go home with great prizes and a greater understanding of the hobby.
• “Countries & Currency: Innovations in World Numismatics” is the theme for the 2014 WFM Maynard Sundman/Littleton Coin Co. Lecture Series. Admission to the symposium is free and open to all attendees of the ANA’s World’s Fair of Money. Lectures will take place on Wednesday, Aug. 6.
• “Countries & Currency” is the 2014 World’s Fair of Money Collectors Exhibit Class 19 Convention Theme. Collectors will exhibit numismatic items of any type that, together with the exhibit text, illustrate the theme of the convention.
RCNA members will receive ANA member prices when registering for seminars and classes at the World’s Fair of Money.
“Those who participate in forums and educational opportunities at the two conventions will broaden their knowledge and appreciation of collecting in each of the respective countries,” Mishler said.
Also the ANA will contribute issues of The Numismatist and Mini-Mint tokens to the RCNA registration kit.
The following week there will be several events at the RCNA’s 60th Anniversary Convention in Toronto in partnership with the ANA:
• Three ANA speakers during the RCNA Symposium on Wednesday, Aug. 13: Walter Ostromecki Jr., “Connecting Hobbyists Today Through Coins & Currency – The Educational WOW Value;” Wendell Wolka, “Parallels in Canadian and United States Banking;” Clifford Mishler, “Hands Across the Border.”
• The Master of Ceremonies at the banquet will be Wendell Wolka.
• ANA members can exhibit at the convention and participate in all activities without being an RCNA member.
• A special Niagara Falls tour is available to ANA members on Tuesday, Aug. 12. The tour departs from the RCNA convention site, the Delta Meadowvale hotel, Mississauga, Ontario.
To register for the World’s Fair of Money, go to www.worldsfairofmoney.com
For more information about RCNA’s convention or to register, go to www.rcna.ca/2014
About the World’s Fair of Money
The World’s Fair of Money is the nation’s premier money show, featuring the most expansive educational programs and best numismatic inventory of any summer show. The show features more than 1,100 numismatic dealers; major auctions by Heritage Auctions and Stack’s Bowers Galleries; the ANA’s signature Museum Showcase, exhibiting some of the world’s most valuable and beautiful coins and paper money; the Collector Exhibits area; as well as educational presentations and seminars. Show hours are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, Aug. 5-8, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9. Members will be able to enter the show half an hour before the public on Wednesday through Saturday. Public admission is $6 for adults and free for children 12 and younger. Admission on Saturday is free to all attendees. For more information, go to WorldsFairofMoney.com.
The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging people to study and collect money and related items. The ANA helps its 25,500 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of education and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or go to www.money.org.