Paterson Collection with 100% sell-through; 1796 No Stars $2.5 Realizes $112,200.
Buoyed by the sale of the Paterson Collection of U.S. Type Coins, which brought $665,599, GreatCollections set a new company record yesterday with total sales of $1,283,901.
“The coin market is strong, as evidenced by the spirited bidding and final prices realized," said Ian Russell, President/founder of GreatCollections. "The star of the auction was the No Stars 1796 quarter eagle, which received 83 bids and finally sold for $112,200."
The 1796 quarter eagle was scarce when it was minted, with only 963 coins struck. It is rare today, with an estimated existent population of about 100. The last comparable example sold at public auction for $77,625 in 2009.
Another highlight was the 1799 Capped Bust gold eagle, graded PCGS AU-53 with CAC approval. 62 bids were placed with the final price being $25,025, exceeding the PCGS Price Guide value by over 10%.
Russell continued: “A personal favorite from the collection was the 1836 Gobrecht dollar, graded PCGS MS-62+. While not the highest grade of this issue, the coin was attractive and sold for $32,450.”
Dr. Spencer Paterson has had an interest in coins his whole life and has put together a number of collections in different areas of numismatics. This type set was mostly acquired over the past decade.
“As the major consignor to this record-setting auction, Dr. Paterson was attracted by our personal service and extensive marketing plan. He opted for our company because we can focus on coins worth $5,000, $10,000 or $25,000, where at some auction houses they would be lost in a phonebook-sized catalog.”
To view the full prices realized and images of the Paterson Collection, please visit www.greatcollections.com or telephone 1-800-44-COINS.
Highlights from the Dr. Spencer Paterson Collection
- $26,950 - 1793 Liberty Cap Half Cent Bent Cap, Bunch Leaves PCGS XF-45 BN
- $14,316 - 1793 Chain Cent AMERICA PCGS VG-08 BN
- $12,376 - 1793 Wreath Cent Vine and Bars PCGS VF-30 BN
- $15,510 - 1856 Flying Eagle Cent PCGS Proof-63 CAC
- $11,825 - 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime LM-1 Price/LM Plate NGC AU-58
- $18,719 - 1796 Draped Bust Dime PCGS AU-55 CAC
- $6,748 - 1805 Draped Bust Quarter PCGS AU-53 CAC
- $7,425 - 1853-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar Arrows and Rays NGC MS-63 CAC
- $15,533 - 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar 2 Leaves BB-20, B-2 NGC AU-50
- $31,515 - 1796 Draped Bust Silver Dollar Small Date, Large Letters PCGS AU-55 CAC
- $19,310 - 1801 Draped Bust Silver Dollar NGC MS-60
- $19,251 - 1802/(1) Capped Bust Right Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS AU-53 CAC
- $13,202 - 1824/1 Capped Head Gold Quarter Eagle PCGS XF-45 CAC OGH
- $33,035 - 1795 Capped Bust Right Gold Half Eagle Small Eagle NGC XF-45
- $13,752 - 1802/1 Capped Bust Right Gold Half Eagle NGC MS-61
- $13,260 - 1811 Capped Bust Left Gold Half Eagle Small 5 PCGS MS-61 CAC
- $8,800 - 1813 Capped Head Gold Half Eagle NGC AU-55
- $22,182 - 1907 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle MCMVII. High Relief, Wire Edge PCGS MS-63
- $41,250 – 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar NGC Proof-60
- $34,650 – 1873-CC Seated Liberty Silver Dollar PCGS XF-40
- $8,743 – 1879 1c to $1 Proof Set PCGS Proof-63/64/65 (7 Coins)
GreatCollections is an auction and direct sale venue for PCGS, NGC and ANACS certified coins, as well as coins approved by CAC. GreatCollections handles each coin transaction from start to finish. For sellers, GreatCollections offers professional imaging for each coin, cash advances as appropriate, and other individualized services generally not available with the large auction houses and other websites, freeing the seller to do nothing except collect the proceeds of the sale. Buyers benefit by entrusting a venue whose principals have years of coin experience and whose reputations in the industry are impeccable.