Rare gold was the order of the night as Thursday's Platinum Night festivities at the 2011 April Rosemont CSNS Signature & Platinum Night US Coin Auction rose to nearly $14 million in total sales. Overall proceeds from this auction are expected to approach $24 million.
Proof double eagles captured the fancy of the evening's bidders, as three rare early issues took top honors of the night. Leading these was lot 5493, a breathtaking Gem proof ultra cameo 1870 double eagle. This beautiful piece, likely the second finest known of a mere 4-6 available to collectors, brought $345,000 when the hammer fell. Lot 5492, a Proof 64 Cameo 1860 double eagle from the Slotkin Family Trust Collection, and one of a mere seven or so examples available publicly, reached $230,000 in strong bidding. Equalling that figure was lot 5494, an 1873 double eagle, also from the Slotkin Family Trust Collection and once housed in the Amon Carter collection, probably the finest known at Proof 65 Ultra Cameo.
Two outstanding four dollar gold pieces showed the enduring popularity of this popular, rare, and short-lived pattern series. Lot 5371, an 1879 Flowing Hair Stella in Proof 65 Cameo, found a new owner for $195,500, while lot 5370, a similar piece grading Proof 64, changed hands for $184,000.
In any Platinum Night auction, there are always a huge number of highlights. Just a few of the additional highlights from Rosemont include:
- 1860 $10 PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS: Realized: $161,000.
- 56.25-Ounce Kellogg and Humbert S.S. Central America Gold Ingot. CAGB-456: Realized: $143,750.
- 1796 25C MS63 NGC: Realized: $138,000.
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific 50 Dollar Round MS64 PCGS: Realized: $126,500.
- 1813 $5 MS65 NGC: Realized: $126,500.
- 1808 $2 1/2 MS61 NGC: Realized: $126,500.
- 1793 1/2 C MS61 Brown PCGS. CAC: Realized: $117,875.
- 1802/1 $2 1/2 MS64+ NGC: Realized: $115,000.
- 1839 50C No Drapery MS64 PCGS. CAC: Realized: $115,000.
- 1873 $10 PR65 Ultra Cameo NGC: Realized: $112,125.
- 1876 $3 PR65 Ultra Cameo NGC: Realized: $109,250.
- 1918/7-S 25C MS65 PCGS. CAC: Realized: $109,250.
- 1862-S $10 MS61 NGC: Realized: $103,500.
- 1876 $10 PR65 Cameo NGC: Realized: $100,625.
- 1818 50C PR65 NGC. O-113: Realized: $100,625.
This auction continues through Sunday, May 1 at HA.com/Coins.