Nearly 1,700 lots to cross the auction block in Tampa, FL immediately prior to FUN
Bowers and Merena, one of the world’s preeminent auctioneers for rare coins and currency, will conduct the January Rarities Sale as its first event of 2011. The single-session sale on Jan. 4 at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay will offer nearly 1,700 lots of rare and desirable United State and Colonial-era coinage.
“It is and honor and thrill to start my career with Bowers and Merena with such an important sale,” said Chris Napolitano, President of Bowers and Merena. “Our January 2011 Rarities Sale will be presenting a wide selection of United States, Colonial and Territorial coins which range from affordable collector coins to world-renowned absolute and condition pieces.”
Headlining the sale is Part II of the Malibu Collection. “The first part of this impressive Malibu Collection helped propel our Official Auction of the November Whitman Coin & Collectible Baltimore Expo to the forefront among numismatic events of 2010. Part II promises the same rarity, quality and eye appeal that we have come to expect from the collection,” said Napolitano.
Highlights from the Malibu Collection include lot 855, one of the finest-known 1866 Motto Seated Dollars in PCGS Secure Proof-66 Deep Cameo, as well as lot 594, an important strike and condition rarity 1918-S Standing Liberty Quarter certified MS-67 Full Head by NGC with a combined pop of just 2/0 by PCGS and NGC.
“From U.S. minors to patterns, bidders will also enjoy Part II of the G. Edward Reahl, Jr. M.D. Collection and the Abingdon Collection,” said Napolitano.
Additional highlights in the sale include:
* Lot 48, 1883 Hawaii Eighth Dollar, Proof-62 Cameo (PCGS), Secure Holder
* Lot 59, Undated (Circa 1616) Sommer Islands Twopence, BMA Type I, Small Star Below Hog, AG-3 (PCGS)
* Lot 73, 1776 Continental Dollar, CURENCY, Pewter, MS-63 (NGC)
* Lot 302, 1924-S Buffalo Nickel, MS-66 (NGC)
* Lot 304, 1925-D Buffalo Nickel, MS-66 (PCGS), Secure Holder
* Lot 722, 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar, Proof-67, Cameo (NGC), From the Malibu Collection
* Lot 1261, 1856 Pattern Flying Eagle Cent, Snow-4, Rarity-7+, Proof-63 (PCGS), From the G. Edward Reahl, Jr. M.D. Collection, Part II
* Lot 1351, 1879 Liberty Quarter Eagle, Proof-67 Cameo (NGC)
* Lot 1359, 1899 Liberty Quarter Eagle, Proof-68 Ultra Cameo (NGC)
* Lot 1383, 1911-D Indian Quarter Eagle, MS-65 (NGC)
* Lot 1412, 1854-D Three-Dollar Gold Piece, AU-55 (PCGS)
* Lot 1423, 1873 Three-Dollar Gold Piece, Closed 3, MS-61 (PCGS)
* Lot 1458, 1859-C Liberty Half Eagle, Winter Variety 1 (27-M), MS-63 (PCGS)
* Lot 1459, 1860-D Liberty Half Eagle, Winter 38-FF, MS-64 (NGC)
* Lot 1489, 1911 Indian Half Eagle, Proof-66 (NGC)
* Lot 1544, 1907 Indian Eagle, Wire Rim, MS-67 (PCGS), Secure Holder
* Lot 1556, 1913 Indian Eagle, Proof-66 (NGC)
* Lot 1584, 1876 Liberty Double Eagle, Proof-63 Cameo (PCGS)
* Lot 1609, 1905 Liberty Double Eagle, Proof-64 (NGC)
* Lot 1634, 1911 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, MS-67 (NGC)
All lot descriptions and images can be viewed online at the firm’s web site by visiting www.bowersandmerena.com and printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800-458-4646. Bidding is open and pre-auction bids can be placed through the firm’s web site, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, via fax at 949-253-4091, by calling 800-458-4646 or by postal mail addressed to Bowers and Merena, Tampa Bay January 2011, 18061 Fitch, Irvine, CA 92614. Lots viewing will be conducted at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay in the White Ibis Room on Jan. 2-4.