Heritage's September 7-12, 2011 September Long Beach Signature World & Ancient Coins Auction contains perhaps the finest collection of rarities from around the world that Heritage has ever offered in a single auction. Included amongst these great coins is The Pikes Peak Collection, an outstanding collection of fascinating gold issues from around the world.
The consignor of The Pikes Peak Collection has long had a love for coins, starting a small collection as a child. About 15 years ago, he decided to collect world gold coins, challenging himself to collect an appealing example from as many different countries as he could. The April 2005 offering of Louis Eliasberg's world gold coins was pivotal for the consignor; the record-setting auction made him realize how rare elite world gold coinage could be.
He has collected more than 100 of Eliasberg's pieces, both rarities and more accessible issues, all pedigreed on their certified holders. He recommends that any collector purchasing one of the Eliasberg pieces obtain a copy of the April 2005 catalog as well; his practice of buying books and catalogs relating to his coins let him acquire the necessary knowledge to build a great library alongside a great collection.
The consignor has several favorites among the Eliasberg pieces, including the Austria-Salzburg 6 Ducat of 1628, which commemorates the dedication of the Salzburg Cathedral, where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the organ more than a century later, and the Franz Joseph I 1896 9 Ducat of Hungary, which commemorates the millennium of Hungary and is one of the coins seen in the famous portrait of Eliasberg from the 1953 Life magazine article (with a copy of the magazine accompanying the lot).
Other favorite coins include the 1945-1946 4 Pound gold issue struck by the U.S. for the Saudi Arabian oil trade, of which he collected seven examples, and an 8 Baht gold coin of 19th century Thailand, the only example he ever encountered (and a coin Eliasberg never owned).
A few of the additional highlights of The Pikes Peak Collection include:
- Egypt: Farouk gold 500 Piastres 1938, KM373, Proof 63 NGC, Ex: Eliasberg.
- France-Dombes. Gaston d'Orleans gold Ecu d'Or 1641, Fr-129, MS61 NGC.
- Bavaria. Maxilimian I gold 5 Ducats 1640, KM269, Fr-196, MS63 NGC, Ex: Eliasberg.
- Great Britain: Henry VI, 1st Reign (1422-61), gold Noble ND, S1799, Lis mm, MS62 PCGS.
- Great Britain: Era of George III gold Yorkshire token 1812, AU55 PCGS.
- Great Britain: Victoria Proof Una & The Lion £5 1839, KM742, PR63 Ultra Cameo NGC.
- Spain: Alfonso XIII gold 20 Pesetas 1892(92)-PG M, KM701, MS66 NGC.
- Tibet: Theocracy gold 1/4 Rupee ND (1905), KM-Y1a, MS62 NGC.